Okay, okay, I promise this whole post isn’t going to be full of moustache-related puns (although if you want to fill the comments with them, I have no objections). There’s a lot going on in this post, mostly because I couldn’t stop taking photos, so don’t forget to pop into Tami’s to see what others are up to this week.
I know there were plenty of you who thought the idea of making a quilt top in a weekend was a bit nuts. And you were right that it couldn’t be done. In fact, it took me until Monday night to finish my top, but in my defence, three quarters of the weekend was taken up with laying lino, and the other quarter with cooking! But I basted it Monday night, which I don’t think is too shabby for a speedy quilt fix, so here it is:
What do you think?
I’ve put all the fabric details at the bottom of the post – I used 5 prints for the squares and 2 different ones for the moustaches, mostly because I decided I wanted to do something a bit different (I know! Me! Not following instructions! So surprising!)
The observant among you will already have noticed that I didn’t use Katy’s template for my applique. In fact, I didn’t even use the same template for all of the applique. Inspired by The Field Guide to Typestaches (original designed by Tor – bigger versions found through a Google image search!), I created my own set of ‘taches from the fonts available to me. I think the original field guide must have been put together by a Mac user, as I didn’t have half of them on my PC, so I just chose 20 that I liked the look of. If Katy doesn’t mind, I’ll make my templates available too – I spent quite a lot of time getting them to the right size!
It’s backed with a single piece of Anna Maria Horner Voile, Diamond Mine in Sky. I’ve had some big pieces of this lurking in my stash for ages, and now I’ve backed one quilt with it, I don’t know why I waited so long. It’s so soft!
What you can’t tell from this picture is that I’d spent the previous five minutes cuddling the rolled-up quilt and enjoying the view! There are lots of places that still have this voile in stock (here and here and here, for example), and I heartily recommend it.
My current quilting plan is to outline each moustache in silver thread (long-ago purchase from The Yarn Yard) by hand. My straight-line quilting is not what it could be, and although I’m slow at hand-quilting, I’m hoping it’ll give me the results I want. If it’s not enough, I’ll probably just stitch in the ditch between the squares. And there’s more than enough scrap fabric left over for the binding.
I’m so in love with this quilt, I can’t begin to tell you (hence the oodleplex of pictures in this post). It’s been the perfect quick fix, and makes me smile every time I look at it. Thank you, Katy!!
My fabrics are:
From Moona Fabrics – Cocoon in Tin, Coral Reef in Dark Water, Empire Mark in Ice, Starcomb in Dark Water, Trade Blanket in Steel.
Topped up with Universe in Academy and Dimitri Vine in Silver from Eclectic Maker