Making Monday: Quick fix

Monday has rolled around again, and once again I’m wondering where on earth the weekend went. J mostly spent the time making clouds of dust in the kitchen, while I pottered around trying to keep the place liveable and work out what tiles we want to buy (don’t ask, you don’t have time for the answer). Oh, and for reasons that you’ll understand from later in the post, I’ve had this stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

A couple of you have commented on working amidst mess, and I have to say, it’s not the easiest thing in the world. I spend a lot (A LOT) of time thinking about what I want to make, while the time I actually have to make things is terribly limited. But I actually think that’s not a bad thing, because when I do sit down in those precious ten minutes, I’ve spent so much time thinking that I know almost exactly what I want to do.

My latest project is a perfect example both of the ‘knowing’ part of that statement and the ‘almost’.

It’s a little monogram for a friend’s new arrival. The idea came from an old issue of Handmade Living (can’t tell you which as I tore it out), although I had to make a few changes to the method. Or rather, I skipped one early crucial stage of the method that I really shouldn’t have. Before you so much as thread your needle, you’re supposed to trace the inside of the smaller hoop onto card for reference later. If you attempt this project, DO THIS. Because it’s impossible to trace it later without undoing the hoops, and while that’s possible, it’s not advisable because I guarantee you’ll never get your letter back exactly where it was. Also, I did mine up with a screwdriver and couldn’t get it undone over lunchtime when I was cutting the card. But that’s beside the point. Do as I say, not as I do!

The only other change I made was that I used bright pink thread to outline the letter rather than pen. I’d probably do this again, since it was easy to pick out afterwards and leaves no trace whatsoever. When I finished my first set of buttons, I was a bit concerned about the design, since I’d gone straight down the left-hand side of the P and thought it might make the whole thing look a bit regimented. It worked out okay in the end, though, as I was careful to jumble up the sizes and overlaps of the buttons.

Ah yes, buttons. These are all from my grandmother’s stash, and they’re mostly odd ones and twos. I think she would definitely have approved of putting them to good use. The main drawback is that I’m epically bad at sewing on buttons. No really, worse than that. I’m fine on the right side, but trying to get the needle back up in the right place, especially when the right place is so small, was more than a bit of a challenge. Worth the effort, but challenging!

All in all, this project took me somewhere around the 2 hour mark, although it would have been less if I’d used larger buttons! I started it while perched on the piano stool, keeping J company while he listed things on Ebay. The buttons were on the piano, my scissors and thread were balanced on a box, and my glass of lemonade (essential crafting equipment) was on a shelf behind me. I sewed on a few more buttons in bed, then finished the sewing off this morning. Adding the backing took about ten minutes over lunch.

Two hours well spent, I’d say!

To see what other people have been making, head over to Natalie’s at the Yarn Yarn here

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Making Monday: Quick fix

  1. […] I made one of these monograms a few years ago when my friend had her first baby, so naturally I needed to make one for the second as well. Okay, she was born a month ago, but better late than never, right? A few years of experience really made the difference this time, and I think I got a much cleaner finish. I used fusible fleece, which I fused to the fabric before sewing on the buttons. I used my iPad as a ligthbox to trace the ‘e’ and laid out all the buttons beforehand. Despite this, my planned scheme didn’t quite work, as apparently buttons take up less room when sewn on than when placed. No, I have no idea how, but I was glad I had spares! […]

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s