My Creative Space: That pesky 1%

Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Thomas EdisonThere’s a lot of truth in that quote, but what it doesn’t say is that the 1% can be the hardest to find. I’m quite happy to work hard on things once I have an idea, but finding the idea in the first place isn’t as simple as it sounds. And sometimes you have the idea in a flash and you end up sweating blood over the remaining 99%.

This might not look like much to you, but for me, this is the culmination of six months hard work. This stitch pattern was originally going to be a jumper, then a cardigan, but has ended up as a scarf. I could see in my mind’s eye how it was going to work, but making the stitches add up has taken me 3 yarns, 4 hooks and a GCSE in maths. I’m delighted with the results and hope to have the pattern out by the end of next week, but boy-o-boy did I have to work for it.

Then there’s this. On Saturday, feeling full of cold and rather sorry for myself, I decided I wanted to make a blanket. And since I’ve been doing a lot of quilting lately, I decided it should be a log cabin. What I couldn’t face was long row after long row of crochet stitches, so I came up with this. It only took me 2 tries to get the stitch pattern right, then I was off. But while it was satisfying to make, I’ve had to do some serious thinking and chatting to work out how to make this an interesting pattern. You’d think that having made it, I’d know what to do with it, wouldn’t you? Instead, it took a conversation with the ever-inspiring Jo at Darn it and Stitch to crystallise my random thoughts into a proper pattern. Funny how these things go.

Rather surprisingly, both of these let me cross things off my Winter Stitching list!

October
Crochet: Finish Lucy design, KAL cowls (I do promise to tell you about the cowls tomorrow!)
Quilt: LC (xmas present, hence in code ) – Now started
Sewing: Finish spotty dress – Not going to happen! Dressmaking will have to go by the by for now.
ALSO: Samples for classes, start knitted shawl

I think that’s pretty good going, really. What about you guys? Made any Winter Stitching Progress?

For inspiration, head over here to Our Creative Spaces.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “My Creative Space: That pesky 1%

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s